Friday, July 08, 2005

Audio Manipulation

Have you noticed the sneaky thing that television networks are doing lately? I don't know if it's deliberate, but the suspicious part of me assumes that it is. You're watching a program and the sound is at a comfortable level and then commercial break comes and the sound goes through the roof, at ear-piercing level. You either turn it down or mute the TV and then when the show comes back on, you have to turn the sound up.

I can only assume that either the networks or the advertisers have figured out a way of making us look at the commercials, because if we can't exactly ignore them, since they are so damn loud.

That combined with the popups at the bottom of the screen that cover up the action on the screen in order to get you to watch an upcoming program.

What happened to the good old days when you just sat down and watched TV and didn't have to actually think about anything.

I suppose this goes along with the half hour of back-to-back commercials that you have to sit through in order to watch a movie. It's all well and good for theatres to advertise the real start time of movies, but if it's a popular movie, you have to get there for the commercials anyway if you want a decent seat.

I hate being manipulated like that, especially when I know I'm being manipulated and can't seem to do anything about it.

No comments: