Thursday, April 28, 2005

Rude Awakening


CIMG3193
Originally uploaded by basykes.
Good morning! That's what Sheila said to me at 5 a.m. this morning. She was awake and decided I should be too. Maybe she wanted to tell me that it was raining and she couldn't go out to play. Anyway...whomp!...these giant feet landed smack dab in the middle of my stomach and a happy face looked at me.

"Off," I said, trying to ignore her.

She got off and started licking my elbow. I covered up with a blanket.

Then she did what she has learned is the thing that will get me up, no matter the hour. She got Kimba to bark. Sheila won't bark herself in the house, but she'll torment Kimba until Kimba barks and that bark is enough to wake the dead, much less someone who is feigning sleep to get a few more minutes in "bed."

I ignored the barking until it stopped, then for a few more minutes, and then I did get up--because by now, of course, I was wide awake, but was hoping that Sheila wouldn't realize that it was Kimba's barking that woke me up.

She gets Kimba to bark when she (Sheila) is hungry. comes 4:30 and she's determined that NOW is time for dinner (it's not), so she starts batting Kimba on the head until Kimba starts to bark. Again, I refuse to reward her by getting up to feed them and shut the two of them up, but the barking cuts right through me and I usually end up feeding them earlier than usual.

I really need to get ear plugs.

No comments: